NGERULMUD, REPUBLIC OF PALAU – Senate President Camsek Elias Chin called the eighth day of the Senate’s Seventh Regular Session to order on Tuesday, July 15, 2014 with all Senators present except Senators Hokkons Baules, Rukebai K. Inabo, J. Uduch Sengebau Senior, Mlib Tmetuchl and Mason N. Whipps.
In its second reading, the Senate passed the following Bill:
- SB 9-116, To prohibit the use of false representation regarding the domestic origin of merchandise: This bill seeks to eliminate false claims about the domestic origin of products sold in Palau, prohibiting the import and sale of foreign-made products that are falsely represented to have been made in Palau. The bill was introduced by Senate Vice President Phillip Reklai et al.
- SB 9-117, SD1, To establish labeling requirements for locally manufactured alcoholic beverages: This bill seeks to require the inclusion of ingredient information and alcohol content on the labeling of locally made alcoholic beverages, in addition to the already required manufacturer’s name and address, in order to be sold at retail or wholesale. The bill was introduced by Senate Vice President Phillip Reklai et al.
In its third reading, the Senate passed the following Bills:
- SB 9-96, SD1, To require the Bureau of Public Health to forward copies of birth records of non-citizens to Immigration and Labor: This bill seeks to amend 34 PNC § 4001 to require the Bureau of Public Health to forward copies of birth records of non-citizens to the Bureau of Immigration and Foreign Labor. This bill was introduced by Senator J. Uduch Sengebau Senior.
- SB 9-97, SD1, Development of Palau Cultural Village in Babeldaob: This bill seeks to create a “Palau Cultural Village” on the island of Babeldaob, which is intended to become a major tourist destination and boost the development of Babeldaob. The bill was introduced by Floor Leader Raynold B. Oilouch et. al.
- HB 9-86-5, HD2, The Hall of Fame Act: This bill seeks to establish a “Hall of Fame” within the Belau National Museum to honor and express the Republic’s respect for the great achievements of outstanding personalities in sports, arts, literature and music. The bill was introduced by Delegates Masasinge Arurang and Alexander Merep.
- SB 9-120, SD1, Social security basic benefit shortfall payment and revenue to the Pension Fund: This bill seeks to provide for a Social Security basic benefit shortfall payment, amend Section 741 of Title 41 of the Palau National Code and to direct fishing agreements revenue to the Pension Fund. The bill was introduced by Senator Rukebai K. Inabo.
|THIRD READING VOTE COUNTS|
|SB 9-96, SD1||SB 9-97, SD1||HB 9-86-5, HD2||SB 9-120, SD1|
|WHIPPS, S. Jr.||Yes||Yes||Abstain||Yes|
On the Adoption Calendar, the Senate took the following actions:
- SJR 9-132, Confirming the appointment of Mr. Robert Charles Lee, Esq. as the Special Prosecutor of the Republic of Palau: This resolution confirms the Presidential appointment of Mr. Robert Charles Lee, Esq. to serve as the Special Prosecutor of the Republic of Palau for a term of five (5) years. The resolution was introduced, by request, by Senate President Camsek E. Chin.The Resolution was referred to the JGA Committee for further action.
- SJR 9-38, To express deep gratitude and appreciation to CAT Team 36-01: This resolution expresses gratitude and appreciation to CAT Team 36-01 for their assistance and wish them the best in their future endeavors. The resolution was introduced by Senate Vice President Phillip B. Reklai et al. The Resolution was adopted unanimously.
Senate President Camsek Elias Chin adjourned the Eighth Day of the Seventh Regular Session subject to call.